re·solve to re·try! (re·cipe: black bean & avocado dillas)

February 21, 2013



"I do not like green eggs and ham. I do not like them, Sam I am." - Dr. Seuss

I don't know about green eggs and ham, but I do not like avocados. I don't know why. Somewhere between the taste and texture, I've always wanted to like them, but it just never worked out. I can tolerate a bite of guacamole and if you hide a slice well enough in a dish, I will deal (maybe- I worked at Red Robin in high school and would often order the BLTA croissant. I defiantly ordered it with the avocado but often ended up booting it onto the plate). But, sadly, they have never made it into my veggie rotation because I just don't like them.

Recently during a scroll down my facebook feed, this post from Vegetarian Mamma for black-bean avocado dillas caught my eye. My mouth watered a little and I clicked for the recipe. It was literally black beans, avocado, and a tortilla. Nope. No, thank you. That's a little too much avocado and a little too little cover-up for me.


Somehow, on my next grocery run, two avocados made their way into my shopping cart and all the way into my home. Whoops. Subliminal much? I forgot about them until an evening at home post-work. Sean and I were both hungry and wanted to eat something right that minute.

I remembered those sneaky avocados. I also remembered that Sean hates guacamole. And that the man has a serious affinity for hot sauce (seriously, we had a long talk about it because I decided that meant he hated my cooking). I decided to make them anyway - with a couple tweaks to make it tolerable for the both of us.

He said there was too much avocado. But it was yummy. But there was too much avocado (even under all that hot sauce).

I liked them - turns out a little lemon is all I need to make avocado work for me.

I figured it was a fail for future dinners, but a keeper for lunches for me. Then, Sean did the unthinkable - he requested them for dinner. I guess too much avocado isn't a bad thing. And, since the hubby approved, I guess I will share:

Black Bean Avocado Dillas

Adapted from Vegetarian Mamma

You Will Need:

  • 1 avocado
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • 1 tsp. taco seasoning (preferably homemade - I use this recipe from Carolina Charm)
  • 2-4 tortillas
  • 1 can black beans, drained well

Directions:

  • Blend avocado, seasoning, and lemon juice in food processor or blender until well mixed

  • Warm black beans in microwave, about 30 seconds
  • Spread avocado mixture on tortilla, leaving room on the edges
  • Sprinkle black beans on top of avocado mixture

  • Fold over and cook on greased skillet on medium heat until lightly browned on each side

  • Cut and enjoy - serve with salsa if desired (or a boat load of hot sauce!)

Recipe yields 2-4 dillas depending on how heavily stuffed you like yours :)


Thanks to Coastal Charm for featuring this post!

post signature

Post a Comment

Thanks for joining the discussion!


Bekah Loves Blog is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.


© Bekah Loves. Design by FCD.